The blanket answer is “yes”. Ask your IT expert and they will say “absolutely”. It seems like a mantra now….”You must have social media!”
The answer for you is….it depends. It depends on your message, your audience, your ability to create content, and more. Before you start your foray into social media you need to ask some questions:
1. What is social media? This is the electronic version of crowd communications. As a way of comparison today you use email to have a protected conversation between yourself and a few select people. The people you communicate with must know your email address to contact you. No one can read the message without your permission. Social Media removes the protections from the communications. Anything you you write or post is available for anyone to see, comment on, or share. As a member of social media you can follow particular people, or become part of a group.
2. Why do I need social media? At the 10,000 ft view, you need social media to facilitate invaluable communications to your audience. Remember that Social Media is just like email with the private characteristic removed. This means that when you post to social media everyone can see it. This greatly increases the efficiency of your communication to the people you are trying to reach. What is more advantageous is that your audience can easily communicate with you. This feedback is instantaneous and invaluable.
3. Which Social Media do I need? Now we are at the question that helps you become a smart user of technology! What you may have encountered are technology experts that provide you a list of many social media platforms you need to use. This is the shotgun method. You probably only need to use one or two platforms. Just like any other media (newspaper, television, radio, etc.) each have a different demographic. Facebook, for example, was extensively used by the teen and twenty something when it first started. But today as it has matured users have skewed towards an older demographic. Google Plus has become the go-to place for photographers and techies. There are exceptions to these but this is the main demographic. The key is to research where your audience lives. The answer to this question will tell you which platform you should use.
So do you need Social Media? The answers is definitely…it depends. Stop, asses, and enter the social media sphere that makes a difference for you. Otherwise you will become frustrated and abandon Social Media.
Latest posts by Erich Deitenbeck (see all)
- Video Tip – Google Trends - June 12, 2015
- Video Tip – Create Google Analytics Optimized Links - June 5, 2015
- Email Capture On A Website: Part 2 – Using MailChimp - June 4, 2015